How to Select the Appropriate Show Collar and Lead
Fitting a show collar and lead can be tricky! Check out our tips to get the perfect fit.
Tips for Fitting a Show Collar and Lead:
• Measure the dog's neck with a soft tape measure. If you don't have one, use a piece of string and measure the string with a ruler.
• Generally, you want to add 2" to the neck measurement, but this may not be enough for breeds with larger heads so you will need to gauge this according to your breed.
• The show collar should fit tight enough so the dog can't back out of it easily. You should gently coax it over the ears of most breeds. If it slips on easily, without a little coaxing, then it is too big.
• When the collar is secure, you should be able to get at least 2 fingers between the collar and the dog's neck.
• When choosing a show lead, generally smaller dogs prefer a longer lead while larger dogs prefer a shorter lead. However, the lead length is based on personal preference.
• Choose a collar and lead color that is closest to the color of your dog's coat in order for it to be inconspicuous.
• Choose a collar and lead length and thickness most suitable to your dog's weight, coat type, and size. Show leads and collars come in many lengths and thicknesses. To help decide on which size and width is best for your dog, ask the team at Puppy Chums.